3 killed at largest mosque in San Diego, 2 suspects dead

A sheriff’s deputy stages at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

SAN DIEGO – Authorities said two teenage suspects opened fire at an Islamic center in San Diego on Monday, killing three men before killing themselves. The case is being investigated as a hate crime, police said.

The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website.

Suspects found dead in vehicle

San Diego Police Department (SDPD) Chief Scott Wahl said that as officers responded to the mosque, they also fielded reports of gunfire a few blocks away, where a landscaper was shot at but was uninjured.

San Diego mosque shooting

Police stage at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Wahl said the suspects were found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby.

Mosque focuses on interfaith relations

Islamic Center Director Imam Taha Hassane said the mosque focuses on interfaith relations and also works to build relations in the community.

He told a news conference that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier Monday to learn about the Muslim faith.

The security guard for the mosque was among those killed, according to Wahl.

Wahl said three men were killed and that both suspects are dead.

Sponsored

The police chief said both suspects are believed to be in their teens and that the case is considered to be a hate crime.

Gov. Newsom, Mayor Gloria briefed

California Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said he is being briefed and the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services was coordinating with local law enforcement.

“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on the social platform X.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria posted on social media that he had been briefed about the situation at the religious center near the intersection of Balboa Avenue and Interstate 805.

“Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area,” The Fil-Am mayor said.

Shortly after 1 p.m., the SDPD posted online that the “threat at the Islamic center has been neutralized.”

A gathering spot for people displaced by the incident was established at 4125 Hathaway St., just west of the mosque. (With CNS and AP reports)

The post 3 killed at largest mosque in San Diego, 2 suspects dead appeared first on USNewsRank.


Discover more from USNewsRank

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x